Google Maps API
to solve the Google Maps stopped working problem
If Google Maps is no longer visible on your WordPress website, this is probably caused by the Google policy changes. This change may have caused Google Maps to stop working on your WordPress website. If you’re using a Google service (such as Google Maps) on your website, Google want you to link these to your Google account by using the Google Maps API key.
How does the Google Maps API work?
When you’re showing a map from Google Maps on a page of your website, a connection is made with the Google Maps API at every visit. It is a free service from Google that builds up this map for you, so it loads quickly. Excessive use of this tool costs Google a lot of money, because their servers have to make calculations every single time.
That is why Google is now limiting the use of the API. A connection can be made with the Google Maps API up to 25.000 times a day. When you exceed this limit, you have to pay. Most of the websites will never exceed this limit, so for most people, this service will remain free. You do, however, have to enter an API key on your website, so Google can keep score of the times your website is making a connection with the Google Maps API.
Getting a Google Maps API key
- Go to the Google Maps Developers page.
- Click the blue button ‘Get a key’.
- Login with your Google account (if you are not yet logged in). It’s best to login with the same account as the one you’re using for example for Google Analytics.
- Select ‘Create a project’.
- Click ‘Continue’.
- Wait until you are led to the next screen. This can take several minutes, so don’t close the window and don’t click away while waiting. The next page will open automatically.
- Enter a clear description, under ‘Name’, e.g.: Google Maps for yourdomainname.co.uk.
- Enter the domain name for which you want to use the API key, under ‘Accept requests from these HTTP referrers’. Enter it like this: *.yourdomainname.nl.
- Enter any other domain names in the same way, if applicable.
- Click ‘Create’.
- You now see a screen with your API key. Copy the key and save this in a safe place.
Installing the Google Maps API key on your WordPress website
Make sure WordPress, your plugins and the theme on your website are up to date. Check which WordPress plugins and themes show the maps from Google Maps. Check their settings to make sure you can now paste your Google Maps API key. Paste the API key in the option field and save the changes.